Saturday, July 9, 2022

Coddies

 

Now that you've seen this picture. It I am sure if you are from Baltimore and you were born in the 50's-60's, you remember these wonderful " Cohen's Coddies. My father used to take my sister and I to this Pharmacy "fountain" counter every Saturday, and we got our "Coddies". They were kept on the counter under glass. And served just as you see them in the picture at room temp.  Oh my what memories!
This recipe is as close as I can find. I am told by my son that there are places in Baltimore that sell "coddies". Lexington Market, and Sip & Bite in Fells Point. 

Here goes...
1/4 lb salt cod 
1 1/4 lb potatoes
2 T milk
1/4 C crushed crackers
2 eggs
1/2 t pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Saltines and mustard

 Soak the fish for 24 hours in a bowl of water. Change the water every 6-8 hours.Cover the fish with water in a pan and simmer for 10-15  minutes. Drain and break with fork. cool. Peel and dice and boil potatoes until cooked. Drain, mash with 2 T milk and cool. In a large bowl combine salt cod , potatoes, crackers, eggs and black pepper and make into thin palm sized balls.
Flatten slightly and cook in a pan filled with 1 inch of oil. Brown cakes on each side and drain. Replace diminished oil between batches. To serve, place each coddie on  a saltine cracker with mustard,and top with a cracker. Serve warm or at room temp. 

No comments:

Recently Added

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

  1 family size pack of chicken thighs, skinless and boneless (about 10) 2 1/2  boxes of lower sodium chicken broth  2 cans of carrots 1 can...